We’ve all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but in the rush of getting off to work and getting the kids ready for school, many people forget it. Taking a few minutes to make a simple, balanced breakfast will help fuel everyone for the upcoming day.
Benefits of Eating Breakfast
- Helps maintain a healthy weight
- Keeps blood sugar levels stable
- Prevents cravings
- Aids in memory
- Helps kids pay attention in school
Start with Whole Grains
Fiber-rich foods, such as whole grains, take longer for the body to digest. This helps keep blood sugar levels stable, reduces cravings and keeps adults and kids fuller for a longer time. Oatmeal, whole wheat bread, and flaxseeds are all high in fiber.
Add Some Protein
Protein helps build muscles, improves concentration, and helps prevent overeating. Eggs, legumes, lean meats, and nuts are good sources of protein. Low-fat dairy products, such as yogurt, cottage cheese, and milk, are also high in protein. As a bonus, dairy products are also high in calcium and vitamin D.
Don’t Forget Fruits and Vegetables
Adding fresh fruits and vegetables to the breakfast meal helps boost vitamins and minerals, which are necessary for overall good health. Keeping strawberries and blueberries washed in the refrigerator will make it easier to grab them to add them to breakfast.
Simple Breakfast Ideas
Even if there are only a few minutes, take the time to stop and grab one of these simple breakfast ideas.
- Nut-butter toast: Spread peanut or almond butter on whole-wheat toast. Top with blueberries and a drizzle of honey.
- Overnight oatmeal: Make steel-cut oats in the slow cooker the night before. In the morning, stir in some chopped apples, walnuts, cinnamon and honey. Top each bowl with milk.
- Loaded cottage cheese: Place low-fat cottage cheese in a bowl. Stir in chopped fruit, nuts and cinnamon.
- Smoothies the easy way: On the weekends, make smoothie packs by placing chopped fruit and spinach in freezer-safe bags, In the morning, dump a bag into a blender with a splash of milk and blend until smooth.
- Cheesy eggs: Make scrambled eggs and stir in crumbled turkey bacon and low-fat cheese.